American Farmland Trust, Scaling Up with a New Website
American Farmland Trust (AFT) is a national, nonprofit, nonpartisan membership organization. AFT’s mission is to save the land that sustains us by protecting farmland, promoting environmentally sound farming practices, and keeping farmers on the land. They have protected in perpetuity over 6.5 million acres of farmland and ranchland using agricultural conservation easements, and are committed to continuing to advance their mission.
Ready to scale up, AFT came to Briteweb to create a new streamlined digital experience, linking their two websites, American Farmland Trust and Farmland Information Center (FIC). AFT’s focus for their new online included raising the organization’s public profile, exponentially growing their membership, and furthering the agricultural conservation movement across the United States.
Unifying the Experience
AFT exists to educate and advocate for landowners, but it was not easy for website visitors to find the information they needed. Both websites were outdated, not mobile-friendly, and difficult to manage.
Due to specific governmental regulations, the websites were required to stay separate. AFT tasked Briteweb to find a way to streamline the digital experience and organize their content in a way that would be easy to find and to use, for all website visitors.
We started with a strategic planning workshop to dive into AFT’s organizational goals, key audiences, and expectations for the new digital experience. Next, we performed a landscape analysis by conducting stakeholder interviews, facilitating peer analysis exercises, and establishing the project’s key performance indicators. From there, we dove into AFT’s website wishlist.
- Easy to use CMS that allows staff to update the website when necessary.
- Updated user experience with intuitive, organized navigation and prioritized content.
- Mobile-ready with a smart design that fluidly adapts to screen size.
- Comprehensive information to support who they are, what they do, and the programs and initiatives they’re involved in.
- eCommerce experience by way of a plug-in or tool to execute a seamless eCommerce experience for users.
- CMS Integration support of CMS platform throughout the website to sync email gathering and acquisitions.
- Robust Resource that showcases all the research and data AFT/FIC has on the American farmland environment.
- Content is thoughtfully organized and compliant with funding and ADA regulations, while the user experience featured an easy link between the two websites.
An Interactive Directory
Farmland Information Center is an essential hub of resources, tools, and information for landowners, farmers, land trusts, and public programs. With so many audiences to cater to, FIC’s Farmland Protection Directory is an important tool for connecting farmland protection partners across the country.
What was previously a simple list of partners, is now an engaging interactive map with a search function and multiple filters.
A Collaborative Experience
From research to strategy, user experience to content planning, design to development, we worked with the team at AFT to ensure their needs were being met and their expectations were exceeded.
The result was a mobile responsive, interactive, and easy to navigate website that provided the functionality required to help AFT reach their strategic goal.